Bestway Group, parent company of Bestway Wholesale, BB Foodservice and Bestpets, has been listed as the tenth largest privately-owned company in the annual Top Track survey published by The Sunday Times yesterday.
The influential list charts the success of the UK’s largest privately-owned 100 companies and places Bestway Group at number 10 with sales of £3.293bn and profits of £573m (based on annual financial reports to the year end June 2017). The survey done not take into consideration the Bestway Retail business purchased from Conviviality Retail in 2018 which would propel the group up to number eight on the list.
Zameer Choudrey CBE, Chief Executive at for the Bestway Group comments, “We are delighted to achieve a top ten ranking in the Sunday Times HSBC Top Track which demonstrates the Group’s continued success in delivering on our growth strategy and helping customers compete in ever-evolving retailing and catering environments.
“At Bestway, we choose to invest millions in personnel, technology, infrastructure and logistics every year to help the company and our customers grow. Our ranking reflects our commitment to all our businesses and I would like to thank everyone at Bestway for their efforts in helping the Group achieve this accolade.
”Over the past year, the company has helped thousands of retailers following the collapse of delivered wholesaler Palmer & Harvey in November last year and has gone on to invest significantly in the business in 2018 with the acquisition of Bargain Booze, Wine Rack and Central Convenience, the creation of a Bestway Vans Direct – a new direct to store operation- and the purchase of new depots in Cardiff and Walsall from AF Blakemore which adds another £500m to the group’s revenues. We have also saved over 3,000 jobs as part of the above acquisitions.
“These latest developments underline the groups ambitious growth plans for the business In the UK and its commitment to grow the wholesale and retail sector.”
For more information, please contact Paul Gray on 020 8453 8337 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Bestway – General Information
- Bestway Wholesale is a part of Bestway Group. Founded by Sir Anwar Pervez OBE HPk, Bestway Group has businesses in multiple sectors both in the UK and abroad. The Group has a global workforce of over 38,000 people, with over 17,000 people in the UK
- Bestway Wholesale is the UK’s largest independent wholesaler serving 125,000 independent retailers and caterers from 64 warehouses nationwide, and with over 6 million square feet of selling space offering a product range of over 25,000 items. The business consists of 3 core divisions and a number of brands within them that aim to service these 3 core divisions: Food and Drink Wholesale and Retail (Bestway Wholesale, best-one, Xtra Local, Bestway Export), Foodservice (BB Foodservice, Drinks Express) and Pet Wholesale and Retail (bestpets and bestpets Local). Bestway’s retail club business best-one and Xtra Local is one of the largest in the UK with over 4,000 members.
- The Bestway Group includes Bestway Retail (formally Conviviality Retail) which was acquired in April this year and includes the franchised and company-owned operations of Bargain Booze, (398 stores) Select Convenience (213 stores), Wine Rack (31 stores) and WS Retail (127 Central Convenience Stores).
- The group also consists of Bestway Cement, Pakistan’s largest cement manufacturer with an annual capacity of 10.8 million tonnes; United Bank Limited, Pakistan’s second largest private bank with assets under management of US$14.6 billion and a branch network of over 1,400 branches serving over five million customers; and Well Pharmacy (previously Co-operative Pharmacy), the third largest pharmacy business in the UK, and the largest in Wales, with over 770 branches across the UK and over 7,000 employees.
- Bestway has built up a successful global business over 50 years by investing in and connecting with the communities it serves. The philanthropic arm of the group, the Bestway Foundation, annually donates 2.5 per cent of its post-tax profits to social projects in the countries in which it operates.