The Food and Drink Federation (FDF) has launched its manifesto. It calls on the next UK Government to champion the nation’s food and drink sector, and support long-standing industry proposals to boost the thriving sector’s productivity.
The food and drink manufacturing industry is a national success story with a powerful heritage. It employs over 450,000 people throughout the UK and is worth more than £31 billion to the economy.
FDF’s manifesto outlines five key policies the next Government must implement to ensure the industry continues to thrive, supporting the considerable contribution it makes socially, culturally and economically to communities throughout the country. They are:
• Prioritise the closest possible UK-EU trade and regulatory relationship;
• Tackle obesity and other dietary concerns through an holistic, evidence-based partnership which reflects real lifestyles;
• Support efforts to make food production and consumption more environmentally sustainable, and help tackle climate change;
• Work with industry to develop home-grown talent and boost skills to equip the industry for its future; and,
• Drive productivity with the Food and Drink Sector Council the leading vehicle for partnership with Government.