The electric opportunity
With 18% of UK smokers already opting to vape1 and around 3 million vapers currently in the UK2, the e-cigarette category presents a lucrative opportunity for retailers.
As one of the fastest growing FMCG sectors at +13%3, the total e-cigarette market is now worth over £400 million4 and the trend for tobacco smoke, ash, smell and stain free products is set to continue.
Which e-cigarette products to stock?
Even though almost 50% of convenience stores now stock e-cigarettes5, both shoppers and retail staff are still confused by the category and the different vaping products available.
As well as providing a number of product formats in sleek and stylish designs, blu has a knowledgeable shopper marketing team with a strong understanding of the market and consumer.
The blu team is experienced in offering e-cigarette and e-liquid advice and education material for retailers to help them ask the right questions and guide their shoppers to the right product solution for their vaping needs.
blu’s full range of e-cigarettes offer a modern alternative to smoking, with a variety of disposable, rechargeable and e-liquid formats to meet every requirement.
Shoppers trying e-cigarettes for the first time may go for ready-to-use disposable or rechargeable starter kits.
Disposable e-cigarettes like blu disposables are perfect for a social smoker trying e-cigarettes for the first time, as you don’t have to charge batteries or top up liquids – you can just enjoy them (for the equivalent of up to 30 cigarettes) and discard when done.
The rechargeable kits such as the blu Starter Kits are easy to use with cartridges available in a variety of award winning flavours including menthol and cherry. Simply twist on and go.
Regular and more experienced vapers usually favour a refillable, rechargeable vaporizer such as the blu Pro Kit which provides a satisfying throat hit and long battery life.
Refillable and e-liquid formats are the fastest growing due to the value savings, greater flavour range and increased product performance they offer.
blu’s e-liquid vaporizer comes in a variety of award winning flavours. There’s the classic tobacco and menthol, plus bluBerry, strawberry mint and cherry for vapers with sweeter or fruitier tastes.
Top tips to grow your e-cigarette sales
1. Stock the right brands to drive sales:
• blu is the 2nd biggest and one of the fastest growing within the top five e-cigarette brands, which together, represent 73% of the market6
• Almost 30% of consumers said they would choose to shop elsewhere if their first choice e-cigarette brand was not available in-store7. So make sure you’re stocking 2-3 of the top five brands in the convenience channel, which are: blu, E-Lites, Nicolites, Vivid and MV
2. Stock a variety of products to cover all vaping needs:
• Both disposable and rechargeable e-cigarettes for new users, such as the blu Starter and Premium Kits with a choice of cartridges
• Vaporizers for experienced vapers such as blu’s Pro Kit and award winning e-liquids
3. Create an e-cigarette area within Depot to make it easier for retailers to find products:
• Clearly merchandise products by brand then by product format
• Use shelf trays, shelf edge stripping and/FSDUs to help retailers see the brands available
• Sign-post the e-cigarette area with signage to help retailers find the area
4. Help your customers understand the category:
• Provide education leaflets that retailers can take away and publish some category information on your websites
• Clearly communicate different product types to help retailers select the right products
• Highlight recommended “must-stocks” to help retailers get the best from their sales
5. Know your e-cigarette products:
• Talk to your shoppers and guide them through your product offering to find the best vaping solution for them. Your shoppers will come back and be happier to buy again and again
• blu has a knowledgeable shopper marketing team, able to offer e-cigarette and e-liquid advice for retailers
blu won e-cigarette and e-liquid Product of the Year 2015 for our high quality products.
We offer nationwide support for retailers; having already dispatched over 14,000 PoS display kits, freestanding units for the till point, plus staff and consumer education material.
The range of PoS, which highlights the award-winning taste of blu e-cigarettes, has been designed to promote the entire product range and flavours including Classic Tobacco, Menthol and bluBerry.
This year, blu has invested in a multi-million pound marketing campaign to drive consumer awareness and footfall in store with bigger and more exciting plans set to be unveiled soon.
• Disposables – perfect for trying out e-cigarettes for the first time or those on a night out. There’s no need to charge or refill, just enjoy until empty then dispose
• Rechargeables – e-cigarettes that customers charge by USB and twist on cartridge refill flavours to enjoy again and again. Just like the blu Starter Kit Cartridge Refills – come in a range of flavours and nicotine strengths to use with rechargeable e-cigarettes. Each cartridge lasts around 300 puffs or 1.5 packs of cigarettes. blu offers a range of flavours in 12 and 18mg nicotine strength
• Vaporizers – made up of two parts (a battery and clearomiser), vaporizers like the blu Pro Kit offer a more satisfying throat hit than
• Clearomisers – the clear tank bit of the vaporizer that customers fill up with e-liquid. With blu’s Smooth Flow Technology, customers enjoy a superior, smooth vape every time. One fill of a blu clearomiser lasts around 300 puffs E-liquids – available in a choice of flavours and nicotine strengths, this is the liquid that customers fill their vaporizers with. Each bottle offers around 1,500 puffs. blu makes 5 flavours in 18mg strength
To find out more about stocking blu electronic cigarettes – or for e-cigarette category advice – contact your Imperial Tobacco Rep or our in-house experts on
0800 014 93 55.