In 2019 Mondelēz International added £22M[iii] to the category, and the company will once more help retailers cater for the surge in seasonal shoppers during Easter 2020 with a host of exciting new launches and some returning favourites.
The average UK shopper spends £17[iv] on chocolate during the Easter season, and in the three-week run-up to Easter 2019 confectionery was the most important category in store[v]. This means there’s a great opportunity for retailers that stock the right range to meet the needs of the Easter customer.
Delia Lendais-Metral, Brand Manager for Easter at Mondelēz International, said: “Easter and confectionery go hand-in hand – 72%[vi] of shoppers agree confectionery is part of the Easter tradition.”
“When asked to name the confectionery supplier they most associated with the season, 75%[vii] of shoppers named Cadbury without prompting – a higher number than any other brand. So key lines like Cadbury Mini Eggs and Cadbury Creme Egg, the number one and two Easter SKUs[viii], are vital to have on shelf”.
Shopping missions for Easter are changing. Sales of Easter confectionery during smaller shopping trips grew 32%[ix] in 2019, while sales of Easter confectionery bought as part of a main shopping trip were down 46%[x]. This means there is a great opportunity for smaller stores to take advantage of seasonal sales.
Retailers can win during Easter 2020 in three ways:
- Timing: Planning ahead is even more crucial in a shorter season
- Ranging: Focusing on shoppers’ favourites to drive the category with NPD playing a role in creating excitement
- Display: Secondary sites, along with a strong Easter-focused aisle or fixture, are key
Mondelēz International advises retailers to split seasonal sales into three phases to enable them to stock the right range at the right time: Fast Start, Momentum and Gifting Finish.
- Firstly, it’s about a Fast Start and ensuring you’re ready for shoppers looking for treat products for themselves. In 2019, this accounted for 12%[xi] of the season
- After Valentine’s Day on February 14, retailers should look to build Momentum and focus attention on shoppers looking for products to share with the family. In 2019, this accounted for 31%[xii] share of seasonal sales
- And finally, after Mother’s Day on March 22 and in the final run up to Easter itself on April 12, retailers should cater for the Gifting Finish, as shoppers look for products to gift to family and friends. In 2019, this final third part of the season accounted for 56%[xiii] of sales.
[i] HIM Shopper, total coverage + discounters sales data and Kantar World Panel TH+OOH confectionery 4 weekly data
[ii] Kantar World Panel TH Panel 17 weeks to 21st April 2019
[iii] Nielsen Answers Total Coverage Excl. Discounters: 17 WE 20.4.19
[iv] IGD Shopper Vista Easter 2019
[v] Kantar World Panel Take Home 17 weeks and 3 weeks to 21.04.19
[vi] Snackchat Easter Survey, April 2019, Easter Demand Spaces March/April 2018. Kantar World Panel TH Confectionery
[vii] Kantar World Panel Take Home Easter shell eggs 17 weeks to 21/04/19. Easter re-design quant 2016. Shopper Easter shell egg 2019
[viii] Nielsen Answers Total Coverage Excl. Discounters: 17 WE 20.4.19
[ix] Snackchat Easter survey 2019. Kantar World Panel Easter chocolate channel share 2019.
[x] Snackchat Easter survey 2019. Kantar World Panel Easter chocolate channel share 2019.
[xi] Nielsen Answers Total Coverage Excl. Discounters: 17 WE 20.4.19
[xii] Nielsen Answers Total Coverage Excl. Discounters: 17 WE 20.4.19
[xiii] Nielsen Answers Total Coverage Excl. Discounters: 17 WE 20.4.19